View Single Post
Old 19th December 2014, 14:41

GuerraCivil is on a distinguished road
Re: The Bf 109 losses in Spanish Civil War: verified and unverified

The Bf 109 B-D was little faster to my knowledge compared to I-16 type 5/6/10 - IIRC, about 30-40 kph faster (depending on the source) and the high altitude advantage gave also some tactical benefit. The Bf 109 hit and run tactics in such were nothing special innovation, but just one example of the again and again "reinvented wheel" of the pilots of fast and well diving fighters against slower and better maneuverable enemy planes. There was little point to seek aerobatic performance contest with Bf 109 against I-16/I-15.

I agree that the importance of Bf 109 in the airwar of SCW has been somewhat overvaluated. In the first place there were not so many Messerschmitts in the Spanish sky to take on Republicans and the number of combat available planes was further decimated by the technical problems and accidents keeping many planes on the ground. The Italian Fiats were far more numerous and easier to maintain - I think that they did most of the job of air combat in SCW. Mölders is often hailed as the top ace of SCW and he was that in Legion Condor. However there are five Spanish Nationalist aces above him with more claims (in SCW) and all of them flew with Fiat CR 32. How accurate the claim records were is of course another question.

Thanks for the reference post on Falcó question. I think that he was a respectable pilot, although his claim score is questionable in some parts - for example he claimed 7 Heinkel 59, of which 3 were "confirmed". According to enemy records (AS/88) only two of his He 59 claims could be legitimate. Falcó´s claim on 18.11.1938 on He 59 seems to be verified by AS/88 loss record, although in Republican records it was only probable. On 31.12.1938 his claim was confirmed, but AS/88 records credits the loss of their plane on 31.12.38 to enemy flak.

Leaving the claim record issue aside, I think Falcós way to respect the memory of Windemuth was a real gentleman effort.

Last edited by GuerraCivil; 19th December 2014 at 16:00.