View Single Post
Old 5th February 2005, 11:42

Jon
109 down the well

Hi Andy.

The BF109 was flown by FW Ebus and belonged to JG.2. On 24th August 1940 he was shot down over the Island by Sgt Gordon of 238 Squadron. FW Ebus bailed out and drifted out to see, when a boat got to him he was already dead, although another view on the island is the crew of the boat finished him off with an oar before pulling him on board !
The 109 hit vertical with a million to one chance directly onto an old victorian well that was hidden and forgotten up in some woods near Shanklin. Most of the aircraft went down the well apart from the wings and tail that broke off. Steve Vizard found the site in the 80's and dug the well out, finding bits of the aircraft including the 20mm cannon stuck vertical in the ground either side of the well opening. I have visited the site 2 times and never found the well as the wood it's in is like Jurrasic Park. Then last year on my 3rd search i finally found it, kicking about the well opening i found several small bits of airframe and a few live 20mm rounds that i buried deep as they looked a tad unstable. It is great that the Isle of wight Rabbits constantly dig up planes !!!
Cheers.
Jon