Thread: JG 52 victories
View Single Post
Old 19th April 2022, 21:55
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road
Re: JG 52 victories

Please do excuse me joining the thread about JG 52 claims and victories.
I first read Hauptmann Lipfert's book/war diary, in 1998 and am re-reading it now, again.

Just for curiosity, since I do not research or write about JG 52 or any of their airmen, would you have (those who research the Eastern Front Aerial Combats) more details about two of his claims that he possibly claimed a Russian Ace?

23 January 1944
84th Aerial Victory - Lipfert - Kerch 07:08hs - YAK 7
Pg. 85: "I am M...., help me, I'm married and have a wife and children...Perhaps the matter would have bothered me for some time had not the same listening post brought news four days later (28 January), that my comrad M....was again racing lustily about the sky. He had come down safely by parachute and had then been fished out of the water by his comrades. Perhaps he later shot down some of us."

27 October 1944
152nd Aerial Victory - Lipfert -near Büd Sz.Mihaly 12:21 - YAK 7

Pg.147-148 from his memories: "The last Russian to be shot down must have been an ace.He wore several decorations, including the badge of "Hero of Soviet Union (HSU)".

11 December 1943
75th Aerial Victory - Lipfert - near Mayak - 11:37hs - YAK-7

Pg.68 from his memories: "The Russian carried out these maneuvers with such skill that I was simply unable to fire.....Had he succeeded, this skilled pilot would certainly have swept me from the sky or at least scored some hits...the Russian turned for his life, proving through his skill that the enemy had outstanding fliers and fighters too".

MAYBE in the futur, some of you with extensive knowledge on the Eastern Front Aerial Air War (WW2) can re-write the Memories of Hauptmann Lipfert with a full detail account about his aerial victories (from the other side). This is one of the books I do cherish the most, from the Luftwaffe point of view.

Adriano