View Single Post
Old 20th September 2005, 16:23

pointedeflèche is on a distinguished road
Re: RAF claims, 18.05.1940

Thanks Stig and Juha.

Juha, I'll try to get hold of a copie.
Meanwhile, I'd highly appreciate if you could tell me if there is mention on pages 228-230 about pilots who continued shooting on a He111 after it had made a bellylanding in a field. I'm asking you this, because I'd like to find out the name(s) of the pilot(s) who shot down Staffelkapitän Kurt Leythäuser's He111 (5.KG4) near the hamlet of 'Vrebos' (6 miles west of Louvain). According to Leythäuser's account, Hurricanes kept shooting at his He111 after he had made a bellylanding. Because of the strafing going on, the surviving members of his crew were forced to hide in a small wood. I grew up near 'Vrebos' and spoke with an elderly lady who witnessed as a child the shooting down of Leythäuser's He111, only few seconds before it crashlanded. According to her account the He111 came in low from the south and was chased by two firing fighter planes.
Is Hptm Leythäuser's He111 a plausible candidate for the victory claim shared by F/L Dutton and P/O Yule that day? (see also:Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces/entry: Luftwaffe crash, 18 May 1940, Belgium)

Cheers,
Dirk