View Single Post
Old 28th March 2016, 10:33
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough
Re: Werner Baumbach ship destroyer

While I also would like to see Baumbach's aircraft Bronc I still can't let the general topic go.

First off all I don't think we should approach Luftwaffe by looking at how RAF did it, except from perhaps a very general view.

Secondly we need to look at the 'happy' years as it is sometimes called from a German point of view, and not the defensive years. During 1940-41 and possibly a large part of 1942 as well, I think the Germans (read Luftwaffe and not Navy) were quite satisfied with how their ocean warfare was going. I don't agree with them feeling they had insufficient anti-shipping forces. If the existing Luftwaffe units felt anything it must have been they had not quite the right tools for doing a 100% adequate job. But they were quite good at adapting their aircraft to perform outside the original design parameters.

So again I don't understand the wisdom of using long range (rebuilt) Ju 88 D for anti shipping purposes. Cameras are heavy enough and on top having bombs onboard every mission to 'just-in-case-we-see-some vessels-let's-bomb-them' would inevitable deplore them of well needed range as well.
Wasn't the whole wisdom with the D-model to use the bomb bay for fuel?

I tried to find more info on Orlowski but can't find much on the 'net'. So far no one has answered the question, did Orlowski score against those 15 vessels shown on the fin of his Ju 88 D? Orlowski flew reportedly more than 1000 missions, which in itself would entitle him to the RK. If he had scored against 15 vessels as well, I am surprised he did not get a higher award and indeed was transferred to a dedicated anti-shipping unit.
My belief is, until someone can proof otherwise, that the vessels we see on the fin of the particular aircraft under discussion was a remnant from its 'A-period'. Since I don't have files showing 'ship-aces' I have no idea if 15 vessels in fact was something many pilots claimed or if they must belong to a very good one. My feeling is the latter. Baumbach's? No idea....

Cheers
Stig