View Single Post
Old 25th August 2014, 14:58
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough
Re: Trying to ID the correct location for AF where I./ZG2 was based during early August, 1940: "St Aubin-Thiberville, France"

Larry H.,

I have no disagreement with your first paragraph except to note something not previously discussed in this threat.All of the conventional postwar literature, and even the Flugbücher that have been examined, give I./ZG 2’s location in terms of the “Gruppe”.It is entirely possible that at times I./ZG 2 issued different daily target assignments to different Staffeln and this caused them to operate from different airfields, landing grounds or Absprunghafen for short periods.So, in effect, we could have the Gruppenstab and one of two of the Staffeln at Caen-Carpiquet while another Staffel or two were operating from an Absprunghafen at Saint-Aubin - Thiberville.While this possibility along with a number of others that might cause a Staffel or two to be separated for a few days from the Gruppenstab and the rest of the Gruppe complicates things, it can’t be dismissed.In this event, we could have documents stating the Gruppe was at one airfield while the surviving Flugbuch belonging to a crew from 2. Staffel indicates another airfield on exactly the same date.

Amiens-Glisy (just one “s” in Glisy):I have it here on just one date, 10.7.40, with this coming from Dierich - Die Verbände der Luftwaffe 1935-1945, and Vasco/Cornwell - Zerstörer: The Messerschmitt 110 and Its Units in 1940.Wolfgang Dierich is at the root of this.In the mid-1970’s he was asked by Motorbuch Verlag in Stuttgart to edit the Ehrenbücher der Luftwaffe (Honor Books of the Luftwaffe) as a commemorative for the Stiftung Luftwaffenehrenmal e.V. (Luftwaffe War Memorial Foundation) in Fürstenfeldbruck.These “Honor Books” date back to late 1940’s/early 1950’s when a Luftwaffe veteran’s organization located in Celle initiated a project to record the wartime history of the units that fought in the war.These histories were mainly compiled using contributions from the veterans themselves.Dierich’s edited 703-page encyclopedia of Luftwaffe flying units was first published by Motorbuch Verlag in 1976 and reprinted in 1993.So that, I believe, is the origin of the Amiens-Glisy claim.

Your second to last paragraph is a very plausible interpretation of what appears in this thread, allowing for the absence of further hard evidence.It would be very helpful to have Flugbücher from the Gruppenstab and all 9 Staffeln that cover the June to September 1940 period.Also, why was the Geschwaderstab located at Toussus-le-Noble/21 km SW of Paris city center from July through September and II./ZG 2 at nearby Guyancourt during the same period?It almost seems like the ZG 2 airfields along the Channel coast were just being used as Absprunghafen by the Geschwader while its permanent bases were at Toussus-le-Noble and Guyancourt.Finally, in the absence of additional Flugbücher, it may be that the RAF “Y” Service intercepts could provide the additional information needed to resolve these questions.

Larry deZ.