View Single Post
Old 26th May 2005, 02:59
carpenoctem1689

What if the Me-262 wasnt tampered with

Hitler, when he saw the Me-262, powered by two Jumo 004 turbojets ordered that the aircraft be produced as a bomber. Because he was at this point obsessed with bombers for whatever reason. The people at Messerschmitt actually had to ask Hitler if the could produce a fighter version as well. Hitlers order to convert the jet powered aircraft to a bomber delayed the project even further. The bomber version, retained the same armament of the fighter version, the four Mk-108 30mm cannon in the nose, as well as proviosions for 2,207 pounds of bombs. This bombload penalized the aircraft as far as speed, and piston powered fighters could catch it. This aircraft had a top speed of 539mph, at 13,245ft. The range of this incredible fighter was 652 miles, an improvement over the early piston powered fighters. Now had this aircraft been used strictly as a fighter, and interceptor of the four engined heavy bombers of the allies, it could have made more an impact on the war. But most certainly would not have changed the war, just prolonged the suffering of the third reich, and its people. But i have heard of people who beleive if employed correctly, and a few hundred more were built, it could have changed the course of the war. In my opinion that isnt possible, but does anyone else beleive it is?