View Single Post
Old 30th March 2009, 22:20
Alter Hase

edNorth is on a distinguished road
Re: Captured Ju 88 Ju-188D-1, W.Nr.0579, ex 8H-OH of 1/AufklGr33

Hi Roger, No, sorry, location shall considered my speculation only. The notes I have seen regarding this aircraft say RAF Celle but list of aircraft found there do not list this number found there. So Leck is perhaps wrong guess. It may have been captured elsewhere and then taken to Celle? This ´8H+OH 0579´ (?) still remains to be confirmed, but according to my notes and files, only one Ju 188 block carried these ´last four´ and matching factory was 15xxxx and this was then D-2 version. Camouflage on abowe pictured aircraft is said same as 1.(F)/33 used but this unit was in Denmark or North-Germany in late April 45. All photographs, notes and partial fuselage numbers seem to indicate this was possibly the abowe mentioned aircraft - but one aircraft number recorded found at Celle could possibly match.

Stig, certainly many Luftwaffe aircraft were captured by forward units but when the paperwork (reports written) was done, they had either been dumped or looted by subsequent units/troops. Also must of the paperwork done then, was not kept after their destruction (or incorrectly filed and remains to be found).

I might add one speculation on the periods still missing from the Ge.Qu. 6.Abt. losses now under restoration at the BA-MA. These are the period in the west, spring and into summer 1940 (i.e. Invasion of France), and again from early 1944 (certainly around the Invasion of France in June 1944). Were they lost while passing thrugh (micro-filming) in Paris after the war?

Best regards
ed