View Single Post
Old 5th May 2005, 12:47

Nikita Egorov
Re: German overclaims in the East. Hartmann and others...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ota Jirovec
Dear Nikita,

Many thanks for your comments about Luftwaffe overclaims in the East. I believe you should use Tony Wood´s listing as base for your further research as they should be the transcription of the original RLM microfilms. However, there is another problem especially with III./JG 52: since approximately March 1943 they apparently did not care very much about the identification of their shot down opponents - almost every claimed Soviet-built fighter was referred to simply as "LaGG" (I guess the intelligence officer of this Gruppe had apparently a very strange sense of humour). For example in the period between March 1943 and August 1944 III./JG 52 claimed approximately 900 "LaGGs", some 250 Airacobras and only some 20 Yaks of various versions. A somewhat funny fact is that they also claimed 21 Spitfires (more Spits than Yaks claimed by an Eastern Front unit during a period of one and half year undoubtedly raises some questions and doubts.....)

All the best,

Ota
Hi, Ota!

Yes, this is unclear moment. I, personally, found some cases when "Lagg" could turn to be Aircobra, Yak, or even ground assault Il-2... This is the problem with II/JG52 as well.

Regards!