View Single Post
Old 8th November 2021, 17:00
Alter Hase

keith A is on a distinguished road
Pre-war Soccer in the Annapolis Naval Academy

I am pursuing a distant compatriot of mine, George Chamberlain Duncan (USNA '39) and find through the help of one of our most knowledgable forumites that he played soccer at Annapolis. My question is at what level? Confusingly sports seem to be played at company and battalion level as well as what is described as only "soccer" level. The USNA "Lucky Bag" of 1939 didn't help other than to indicate he was a member of the soccer team in his fourth year, but my earlier investigations seemed to indicate that battalion level was lower league and my assumption is that company level would be at least "second" or perhaps even "third division" as it were.

It would appear that the Midshipmen soccer teams were created from all the years and that therefore a 1938 team could consist of players from several other years. Probably 1934-42. Over the period 1934-38 the Midshipmen won sixteen games, drew four and lost eleven.

Duncan's family were originally from Scotland and therefore playing fitba' would be appropriate.

regards

Keith