View Single Post
Old 25th September 2022, 11:11
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough
Re: "Balls of Fire" attacks against B-29s over Japan

Sorry Ed

I don't believe one thing about this. As I see it, just someone with too much imagination.
For example Edwin Dyer in his Japanese secret projects doesn't even mention such an aircraft being
projected, far less built.

The internet article gives very little real details. How/when was it re-designed, when did it make its first flight etc?
The real Okha was a very simple design with one single purpose, dive into ships and never come back.
It was a desperate design with no refinements at all.

The real Okha made its first combat mission 21 March 1945 and if Dyer is to be believed that was also
the month when production of the basic type stopped.

Since manned gliding tests with the type began on 31 October 1944, it was quite a feat by the Japanese
to achieve that.

But the article also wants me to believe that during this time, the design was totally altered to become
an interceptor fighter without giving a single evidence of how that happened, where it was done and
what the design really looked like.
Where was it tested and how was the test done?
Was it supposed to take off on its own power or dropped from a mother aircraft?
The single fin sketches indicates a take off from the ground rather than dropped in the air.
The problem is that I don't believe the aircraft would have been capable of taking off on its own power.
How was it supposed to land after its short mission?
Could it even fly at night?
A new rocket engine (KR-10) is listed without any details who built it and what output it had.

Finally, why on earth would surviving details remaining in USA be classified today?
If it really existed, it was another dead end in design, achieved nothing compared to standard
Japanese night interception and so on.

No, I need far more evidence than this.

Cheers
Stig