View Single Post
Old 16th October 2022, 18:09
Alter Hase

keith A is on a distinguished road
Re: USNA Annapolis class of 1923

Hey Rich, thanks for sticking with this.

I have two possibilities based on no more than their place of birth, Illinois. These are Murr Edward Arnold and Ralph Walter Dunstan Woods. Now I just need a connection to either the Duncans or the Chamberlains, probably through marriage to two other families.

His father is important for my story. He is born on March 20, 1882 in Streator, Illinois, a mining community from Scottish parents. His mother is called Grace. In 1942, in his draft registration he refuses to give a previous occupation, and this is not shown in the 1940 census when his wife is working as a voice teacher. Too young to be retired, not disabled (he lived until 1955?) and unwilling to give information. Something has happened. He is unemployed and has been for at least two-three years perhaps more. He worked for the Rust mining companies as a mining supplies manager in Tacoma from at least 1920 until 1930. To enter Annapolis in 1935 the family surely was in the upper middle-class bracket, not rich but comfortable?

George C Duncan has a brother. In the Census he is named John or Jack S. He later served on Saipan with the USMC in 1944.

Apart from that I have climbed a lot of ladders and probably a few will land on snakes.

best regards

Keith