View Single Post
Old 29th March 2005, 07:05

Dick Powers
Re: Favorite Aircraft History Books: Further Thoughts

Since I started this thread, I’ll state my opinion regarding the “technical” aspects of a “good” aircraft history. My university education was in aerodynamics, so I am familiar with much of the technical descriptions.

First, at the start of WWII, airplanes were simple machines. Propulsion (engine+propeller), weapons (guns and bombs), pilot, landing gear, an aerodynamic shell held together by structure and a few (very few) systems – radio (sometimes), hydraulics, electrics. Unlike ships which had to be self-supporting for months, airplanes were rarely called on to perform without servicing for more than a few hours. Even bomber command’s late war four engine Lancs were simple aircraft with self contained electronic systems retrofitted. Aircraft didn’t begin to get complicated until the B-29 with central fire control systems and super long range.

That being said, technical descriptions should be fairly simple. I don’t CARE what alloys were used in the wing spars (unless it was a revolutionary material used to overcome some obstacle, such as a shortage of steel.) When I saw a post asking about the rivet size of Me 109’s a wondered why bother? Unless you are building (or rebuilding) one.

As far as systems go, the best description is a schematic from a contemporary servicing manual; more concise than words and more easily understood. Perhaps in the modern world, a CDROM with tech manuals could be included.

If I had to choose between 25 pages of systems description and 25 pages of service use, I’d pick 25 pages of service use.

And you definitely don’t have to be an engineer to write an excellent aircraft history. A good writer knows when to question, what was written, reported or said and how to cross check facts. That talent is not the exclusive property of the technically trained.

In my opinion, far more attention should be given to the service use, development of tactics and doctrine than to the minutiae of voltages, gages, and rivets. After all, it is how the product is used that counts, not how it was constructed.

As I stated previously, Martin Pegg’s Hs-129 book is, in my view, a wonderful balance of development, service use, weapons and people.

Now, I will say that one of the most neglected areas of history is engines….