View Single Post
Old 19th April 2022, 19:42
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road
Re: Analysing survival rates among Luftwaffe air crew in 'Steinbock' and other operations

Simon, I shall dig that info for you.I will be on short holidays from next Monday, so please do allow me some days to find on some HD's and books. But it was a nice statistical report (study).

Chris, I bet you are right! On this kind of situation (gladly we had never to face this kind of situation whilst flying), one tends to save his skin (and quickly as possible)! I remember a HUET training I did some years ago, simulating a night landing on the "Drink" or sea (wearing full painted black swimming glasses)..in spite of all the theoretical training, just before the events, when the hull capsized and turned upside down, I unbuckled my seat-belt and went the other way, passing in front of the "Captain" and exiting through his door (instead of mine) in record speed time (like a Champagne cork), to breath freely over the water some meters above....Boy, I doubt if Michael Phelps would have beaten me this day....

A.