View Single Post
Old 12th June 2014, 08:18
Alter Hase

Theo Boiten will become famous soon enoughTheo Boiten will become famous soon enough
Crash location 103 Squadron Lancaster JB403 2/3.12.1943?

Dear all,

This week, I got a request from a family member of Sgt. G.A. England, crew member of 103 Squadron Lancaster JB403, who was killed in action during the 2/3 December 1943 Berlin raid. Tom England wrote: "This was the aircraft my great uncle (G A England) was killed in. Whilst I know a great deal about my Uncle's service, I know next to nothing about the loss of his aircraft. There is a long standing family rumour which suggests the aircraft was attacked by a fighter on the way the target and the rear gunner fell from the aircraft as a result of the attack. I really don't know where this information came from -There seems to be little evidence to substantiate it, other than the fact rear gunner (R H Tomlin) was not originally buried with the rest of the crew, but was moved after the war. I would be interested to know if you have any further information regarding the loss of JB403."

Regrettably, I have no info re. the crash location -or cause of loss- of JB403; who can help?

Cheers and thanks for any information, Theo