View Single Post
Old 22nd October 2014, 13:38
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough
Re: Amoit 351/354 information

Thanks everyone

The Luftwaffe issue is to me quite a problem since they in fact captured large numbers of these aircraft, both in 1940 and 1942.

A master list was prepared by Jean Cuny and Raymond Danel back in 1986 for their Docavia book number 23 lists some eight in 1940 and some 24 in 1942.
I have not included No 41 to 55 since I believe none of these were completed and probably never was.

The Amiot 350 series was a very advanced piece of machinery in the late 1930's, certainly the best bomber in the French inventory. Note that none was lost to fighters! Once French designers left their barndoor philosophies behind them they rather quickly showed up as very capable designers.

At least one of them should have been tested and evaluated at Rechlin for example, but I simply fail to come up with any solid evidence. Yes I know that Thomas/Ketley list two Amiot in service with 3.(Erg)/KG 200 on 10.3.1944 and increase that to three on 30.4 the same year. But no type number is listed, so theoretically they can be old Amiot 143.
Neither do I find any references at all in the book German secret flight test Centres to 1945 to any Amiot 351/354 being used at any point.

What did they do to them? Just scrapped them?
Cheers
Stig