View Single Post
Old 20th November 2020, 01:00

SteveR is on a distinguished road
Re: "The Kassel Raid, 27 September 1944: The Largest Loss by USAAF Group on any Mission in WWII" by Eric Ratcliffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred.MONZAT View Post
I want to finish Mission 376 before that one so I went to got a little closer look.

It look like Ernst Schröder is the main eyewitness on the German side. In fact the air battle is covered in a 35-page long chapter (out of 135, not including the appendix).

I don't think you should go for this book if you are interested by the German side, example: "[The Sturmgruppen] needed the protection of a group of Me Bf 109Es acting as top cover" and the technical description of the Sturmbock is faulty. In English, you better go for JG 4 and JG 300 books or Donald Caldwell's Defence of Reich books.
Thank you very much, Alfred!

I've been interested in the Kassel Mission for many years. I definitely prefer books that cover both sides (as accurately as possible) though, so this will slip down some spots on my priority to purchase list.

Btw, I have all of the books you mention and those are indeed good recommendations. If you enjoy Mission 376 I heartily recommend the same author's work on Mission 85.