View Single Post
Old 21st October 2016, 13:54
Alter Hase

Larry is on a distinguished road
Servicing a Pratt & Whitney R-1830 in RAF

In the spring of 1944 my father was posted to 575 Sqn at RAF Broadwell, as an engine fitter and he told me that in the build up for D-Day, the base received a vast supply of brand new crated Pratt & Whitney R-1830 engines which he and other fitters then prepared for immediate use.

According to my late father, the RAF decided it was easier to remove a defective engine and take it to the workshops, that spend time on stripping it on the aircraft out at dispersal. This he said was rather a new way of doing things for the RAF and I wonder if this was just for Dakota Sqns because of the nature of the engine / airframe or whether it was adopted throughout other Commands?

Obviously an engine swap was done only for major problems or if hit by flak, rather than for basic maintenance. Hoever a novel feature of the C-47 was that it was delivered with a tool kit containing tools the likes of which the RAF fitters had never seen before, so an engine change didn't take forever.

BTW - Does anyone know how many hours a Pratt & Whitney R-1830 would run before it needed a major service in RAF service in WW2?