View Single Post
Old 30th September 2019, 09:36

schwarze-man is on a distinguished road
Re: List of DB 605A engine construction numbers?

For the next stage of my analysis I am considering the engine numbers and production of the DB605A and B series, including the AS and AM types, as far as can be deduced. This is a somewhat complex topic, working with approx a 1% sample of numbers. The period includes the complications of Allied bombing disruption, wide dispersal of production, possible Axis jumbling of engine numbering, the introduction of the DB605D series engines and the shortage of production data for 1945. One other complication is the effect of DB610 engine production. The DB610 was a "Double" engine, consisting of a pair of DB605 engines on a common reduction gearbox. To suit the vibration characteristics of the paired engine, the component engines have a different firing order than a standard DB605. Also, the righthand had a mirror image rear gearhousing and supercharger etc, to suit the air inlet on the RHS. Now, after the curtailment of the He177 bomber programme, some spare DB610 engines were rebuilt as DB605A or B engines. These engines retained their different firing order and they have distinctive red painted instructions on their cylinderblocks to show the revised firing order for the mechanics. I will lookout for any evidence of these engines in the data but, I do suspect that they were re-processed back into the numbering system and may not appear as such? I would be grateful if anyone has more info on the Ex-610 605's?
To start, I am going to review the DB605 production plants listed in the BIOS post war report on Mercedes-Benz. Cheers

SM