View Single Post
Old 4th April 2016, 19:23

Tony Kambic will become famous soon enough
Re: Ar 196s Captured on Prinz Eugen

Chris,

As a volunteer at Smithsonian's Udvar-Hazy Museum, I do get involved in some interesting projects. Currently I am helping with the preservation of Flak Bait's R-2800 engines. But a few years ago I was helping one of the curators and they asked me to do some background work on the Ar196 that is in storage.

As I understand it, your question is very valid as no one seems to know for sure at this time. I learned from one online site a few years ago that the WrkNr was just a projection based upon StammKennzeichen. The curator suggests that this is not always reliable.

At that time the NASM Ar196 was being discussed as the next Luftwaffe to be restored. I have viewed it some years ago in storage and the fabric is coming off in many places, and the aircraft was still up on floats.

The Prinz Eugen came first to Boston Naval yard, then to Philadelphia Naval Yard, and last to the Pacific where is was unintentionally sunk at the Bikini Atoll during an atomic test. It appears that Ar196s were unloaded in Philadelphia.

I was advised by NARA archivists that any records of the aircraft may be at either the Boston or Philadelphia Naval Yard libraries. They have nothing online that I am aware of.

I did some further research to try and locate where on the airframe might be the data plate with the WrkNr. Seems it could be a triangular plate welded into a triangle frame joint near the tail. One of the older restoration staff was going to see if he could locate it but could not visualize one.

The work on this aircraft is now suspended for the time being. I do not know any future scheduled work on it.

If I have any opportunity to view it again, I will try and see what I can learn. Artifacts are being brought over from Silver Hill to the new Udvar-Hazy center from time to time so it may show up. The other Ar196 I believe is being restored in Germany, possibly at the museum near Nordholz. You could try and contact them about that WrkNr.

Tony