View Single Post
Old 21st September 2011, 20:58

schnellmeyer is on a distinguished road
Re: Unidentified FW 200C Condor losses in 1940 from I./KG 40

Martin , I also believe that there is a strong case that the Condor that crashed on 20 August 1940 on Mount Brandon ( Faha ridge) was F8+KH Werks nr.0015 .
In Chris Goss's book "Sea Eagles , Luftwaffe Anti-Shipping Units 1939-41 Volume 1 " on page 88 there are photos of a Condor carrying these markings , I do think that this is possibly the same Condor that crashed on Mount Brandon . In these photos you will see the under surfaces blacker out . I had alot of correspondance with Hans Bell who was one of the radio operators on this Condor and in a letter to me dated 1st August 1994 he said the following " For flights in daylight we had the camoflage paint. For night action we had to paint the underside of the Condor with dull black . Since we never had enough planes , we had to wash off the soot like paint again to get it ready for daylight action, an awful job but all ranks participated "
I know the caption says over France in 1941 but I think it is wrong , Oblt.Helleberg was on F8+EV Werks nr. 0023 when they crashed on 21.10.41
You will also see from the flugbuch of Ludwig Wochner that he has entered six flights in F8+KH , all flown in a three week period until it's loss .