View Single Post
Old 13th April 2016, 23:08

Marcel Hogenhuis will become famous soon enough
Re: NJG crashes or killed 21/22 June 1943

Hello Greg,

Nice to read your posting after so many years! You might remember me as a frequent visitor to your nightfighter forum years ago. If not, take a look (:-)
Well, I first checked whether there was a difference between the English time and German time but it wasn't. Therefore the German time of loss (01.41) should be approx. the time that a RAF Bomber Command crew claimed to have hit a German nightfighter.

The Namentliche Verlustmeldung (German loss report) says this about Hollers loss (free translation): "On 22th June 1943 the crew of Major Holler - Feldwebel Gotha took off at 0.38 hours for nightfighting duties. During an attack on a four engined eneymy bomber their nightfighter was hit by gunfire. Major Holler must have been hit, because Gotha only heard some moaning from his pilot after a hit. The nightfighter became uncontrolable so Gotha decided to use his parachute and jumped. Major Holler was killed and recovered from the wreckage."
The reference to the four engined bomber must have come from Gotha who survived the jump but got wounded because he had hit the tailsection of the stricken Bf110.

One question: can you specify the source for your Excel-file? When I look in the Interception&Tactics Report 124/43 I discover some data which is not in your listing though they might be of interest:

1) Lancaster (?) 5 Group, 10 miles west of Overflakkee, 01.35, enemy aircraft closed in to 900 yds when reargunner opened fire. Tracer thought to hit enemy aircraft which broke away on starboard climbing at 600 yds. Enemy aircraft renewed attack about 5 minutes later (approx. 01.40 MH) from starboard quarter. Mid upper gunner opened fire at 700 yds. range. Enemy aircraft passed across stern level and was again lost sight of.

2) unknown bomber type, Goeree, 01.38, twin engined enemy aircraft believed ME.110 seen on starboard quarter. Rear gunner and mid upper gunner opened fire and enemy aircraft peeled off to port and was not seen again.

I do hope that this might help you further, all the best, Marcel