View Single Post
Old 27th February 2008, 00:27

Schenck
Re: National Archives: building work

I've been there on 09/02 and it was better than late last year and early January. Main documents reading room is operating, I would say, with 1/4 of the normal capacity or so. Microfilm/microfiche reading room looked much better (the number of microfilm readers available) than when work had started. All microfilm/microfiche cabinets moved to previously walled off part of the first floor room, behind what used to be long big help desk. You'll notice the main difference being, and for me the most annoying, the security barrier for sweeping cards was moved to the first floor just in front of the entrance to the main documents reading room, so no more free roaming fro/to documents room and microfilm room. We can just hope it is a temporary solution or they don't rate microfilms as valuable holdings anymore.
The ground floor suffered a lot of work being done as well, coffee-bar moved to where a small internet room used to be, they are refurbishing the restaurant, and I suppose when they finish all work the price of a limp piece of fish and chips will be tenner at least.
Overly intrusive security staff still there, ugly blue jackets still there, and man, yellow order slips with your name are everywhere, I am gonna start collecting them and selling on e-bay.
But, I still love the place and happy research.