View Single Post
Old 12th March 2010, 05:49

Hellfromheaven is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Luftwaffe units operating over North Herts/south cambs night of 18/19th February 1944

Thank you Brian, it looks as though the Nuthampstead raid could well be tied in with this London raid. You mention bc50 bombs, i believe these were 50kg incendiary devices? The bomb i have is without doubt an sc50 grade II GP bomb (high explosive). The way the tail fin attaches is different on the Grade II variant than from earlier versions of the sc50 and rather distinctive.
you say that Ju188's of both II/KG2 and I/KG6 were shown as having bomb loads of 2xAB1000 IB containers and 10 BC50 on this raid, does this mean that my bomb couldn't have been dropped by these groups, or is it likely that the actual ordinance carried on the night could differ from that stated in official documentation? Or were there other groups operating on this raid to make up the numbers? sorry to ask so many questions, i'm not that clued up on how the Luftwaffe structured their raids! Do you think they meant to bomb Nuthampstead Airfield that night, or was it a mistaken target/target of opportunity?

Thanks for all the input so far, i feel like i'm learning more the deeper i dig into it