View Single Post
Old 9th December 2006, 16:56

drgondog is on a distinguished road
Re: LW (JG3?) losses 28 July 1944 and 2 march 1945

Rob - the questions I have are regarding the three III/JG3 losses. The one you noted about 7/JG3 is also there.

I tried to paste the spreadsheet but the tabs screwed up so:

The three in question are from III/JG3 - Me 109G's but the spreadsheet doesn't have a location (but does reference your 7/JG3 item)

This is about one of the 'puzzler's' regarding an engagement E Mulhausen at 1020 on 28 July, 1944. I have been able to ID the specific unit (JG300 Fw 190s) that engaged the 355th FG at 1000 SSW Merseburg, but two (of 6 attcking) Me 109s were destroyed at 1020 along the return route. One my father chased into the ground and filmed the wreckage, and one that collided with a B-24 and seen to blow up - pilot possibly got out. A third was also hit heavily by the B-24's and seen to limp away, smoking..

The times above would be British Time/Zulu and contained in encounter reports.

So, the mystery continues but thank you very much for your help!

Is there a database (such as the one from which Remi so kindly extracted for me for the above info)that is reasonably complete and accurate regarding LW losses that also has a time 'stamp' that you could direct me to? I need Oct 1943 through April 1945.

The biggest difficulty I have had in correlating encounters (losses and scores) between the 355th and LW is of course accurate recording of times and locations. With few exceptions I have an accurate chronological and location log from the 355th side... but LW?

Tony Woods has been very helpful but I still have a lot of questions as many of his entries don't have locations or times.

This forum has been of exceptional value - and I thnk all of you for your help

Regards,

Bill Marshall

Last edited by drgondog; 9th December 2006 at 17:02. Reason: spreadsheet tables did not paste well