View Single Post
Old 18th January 2019, 08:45
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about
Re: Using Ultra to research the Luftwaffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Dennis View Post
Now I am intrigued: the top of what page? I have just looked at a hundred pages and didn’t find an example but each page was identified with the CX/MSS number. Since I very rarely copied the first page of the HW5 daily reports, being more focussed on North Africa/South Europe/Southeast Europe which was further inside. I may have completely missed this use of ‘R’. I assume it is there?

Regards
See the example I attached to my post. From November 1943 all the pages of the “reports” section that I have seen—which is a lot—have that type of heading: CX/MSS/R, then a number (1 on the first day this system was adopted, 2 on the second day etc.) then a letter from (A)–(E) in brackets denoting the theatre of operations. (A = Germany, B = South, C= West. D and E were used for South East and East but things change as decrypts from Russia dry up and again right at the end of the war when German organisation breaks down)