View Single Post
Old 18th March 2020, 20:35

rof120 is on a distinguished road
Air War 1939-1940: EOE - Eagles over Europe (project)

As you see I added an important piece of information to the title of this thread, namely "Air War 1939-1940".

The reason: very numerous new members and even more numerous NEW visitors are not aware of what all "old hands" know about EOE, Larry Hickey and his publishing company. New people, sometimes numerous ones, are added every day, others vanish… (C'est la vie - That's life).

No that war did not begin on 7 December 1941 but on 1 September 1939.

What part of the potential audience nowadays (in the 2010's and 2020's) is aware of this fact?

It was more than 2 years before PH. Thousands and thousands of Allied airmen died in air battles before the "day which will live in infamy".

I don't really know but I guess that many, many people out there in the world (USA, Australia, NZ and more countries) don't know anything, or precious little, about the air war over Europe, at least before PH, except probably the "purely English" Battle of Britain (July-September 1940)… in which foreign fighter pilots (about 20 %), mainly Poles and Czechs, fought with great distinction and very effectively. I guess, too, that people know even less or nothing on the air battles over Poland, Norway, the Netherlands, Belgium and mainly France (with a significant British part), in which Germany's Luftwaffe lost slightly MORE AC in 38 days than in 83 days over Great-Britain - and of course these heavy losses inflicted to a Luftwaffe which thus was weakened played a part in the Battle of Britain.

Finally I feel that some of these interested persons "out there in the world" could find some (good) books on 1939-1940 air operations and combat a welcome change from the usual USAAF routine (mainly in the Pacific theater) - they put up a very good fight - and so did their ubiquituous B-17s, 24s, 25s, 29s and P-38s, 40s and 51s - operations which many know almost by heart (in part thanks to Larry Hickey's excellent books on PTO air operations), not to mention the grand job achieved by US Navy airmen.

EOE would bring something entirely new and very fascinating to many people in the whole world, not least in Europe of course. So let us cross our fingers.

Last edited by rof120; 20th March 2020 at 12:51.