View Single Post
Old 2nd November 2006, 10:09

Smith is on a distinguished road
KE report August 1943, Peenemunde

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodM View Post
I'm not an expert on the reports by any stretch of the imagination but I've been actively working with them in relation to RAF Bomber losses in 1945 over the last year.
Hi Rod ... my name is Don Smith and I'm a fellow Kiwi ... in Wellington.

I am am trying to glean further information regarding the loss of my Uncle F/sgt L F English over Peenemunde on 17/18 August 1943 (RAF, 619 Squadron, Lancaster EE147).

I have a copy of a one page MRES form that I obtained from my Uncle's service records on file here in Wellington (was Molesworth St, now Trentham). Amongst other things it refers to "captured German documents now in our possession" to very briefly describe the crash scene and location. What I wouldn't give to have access to those documents!

It is more than possible that they may be KE reports as you describe them, and although most likely still held by the MRES (for what, another 10 years or so?) I guess there's a faint chance they might be in US hands.

I've left a similar message on another Board (RAF Commands I think it's called - something like that) but you've placed a lot more detail here so perhaps this is the better environment.

Could you please let me know how I can find out even if a valid report exists for my search. I would be enormously grateful and can offer up what I know in detail.

Many thanks, Don