View Single Post
Old 23rd September 2005, 13:42

Marius is on a distinguished road
Re: Bombing civilian targets by the Luftwaffe?

Hello Franek,

HTML Code:
Oh, another discussion about innocent German airmen and bad butcher Bomber Harris?
Nobody says German airmen are innocent. And this is the question of the thread: when German aircrews bombed a purely civilian target for the first time and where?
The "Butcher" Bomber Harris, yes why not.

HTML Code:
Wielun was hit in a multiwave attack that lasted from the morning until early afternoon.
I doubt it. There were two attacks in the early morning by I./StG 76 and I./StG 77. All other bombings were carried out in the bright area of Wielun, even reaching 12 km away, not on the city itself.

HTML Code:
It is estimated 75% of buildings were destroyed by both high explosive and incendeniary bombs. Comparingto this, loss of 1200 persons - ~8% of population - seems quite a reasonable figure. Supposedly, many of those died of wounds, half a day bombing caused impossible to give any help. Additionally streets were straffed by the German aircraft.
Who estimated this 75%?
1200 persons... compare other bombing attacks - for example the night bombing raids by RAF bombers - and how many tons of bombs were dropped. For example in Rotterdam appr. 100 tons killed 600 - 900 people.
Also in Dresden 1945 the streets were strafed by US fighters, but until day nobody could bring the evidence for the story.

HTML Code:
 By the way, 30 tons seem a little bit small bombload for about 6 bombings by two Geschwadern.
6 bombings? What is the source? What German units did it?
I mean ca. 20 tons dropped by I./StG 76 and ca. 10 tons by I./StG 77. The first attack (I./StG 76) was at ca. 5.30 hours, the second (I./StG 77) at ca. 6.05 - 6.10 hours.
Look to the war diaries of both units.

HTML Code:
It is a fact, however, that Luftwaffe bombed purely civilian districts as well as straffed people seeking for vegetables in fields surounding the city.
Fact? Fact is they did not. At first on 25th September Luftwaffe started bombing of Warsaw which also caused considerable damage to civilian districts. All earlier attacks were made against purely military targets. And don`t forget Warsaw was declared as a "fortress". Fact is it was a battle zone since 8th September as first German tanks tried to come in.

HTML Code:
 The practice target was not Wieluń but a small city of Frampol, mostly inhabitated by Jewish population. The story was published in Germany during 1970s, so it is no way a Polish propaganda. Interestingly, photos taken during the raid clearly show markers made either by '5th collumn' or diversion groups.

Many silly things were published in Germany. Compare the stories written by Jochen Trenkner about Wielun. Many nonsenses and lies and manipulations as well.
What is the evidence Frampol was a practice target?
5th column and diversion groups, not bad. Do you really believe this?

Marius