View Single Post
Old 23rd March 2018, 08:59

azapf1972 is on a distinguished road
Re: Mosquitos über Berlin. Nachtjagd mit der Messerschmitt Bf 109 und Me 262

Gentlefolks,

please be advise that this is a bit "premature". But only in the sense that the image presented is not the final cover. We (the publisher and me) had decided to hold back a bit until the website (www.nachtjagd-me262.org) holds the actual cover but hey...

As many of you know, I have spent a better part of the last five years on a research project covering "Kommando Welter" and 10./NJG11. I was reluctant to publish as a book first but the amount of information available grew too large to just "throw it out" so I finally decided to turn it into a book.

Attached is a map that shows most of the aircraft accidents and losses covered in the books (next to many other things), paying tribute to the crews that were injured, taken POW or lost their life far too early. I will share more information as it becomes available. If you are using Facebook, you can use this link to stay informed as well.

I have taken down my outdated information from www.kommando-welter.de and www.chronicles-of-the-luftwaffe.de to not confuse people. Any links that have been made to the sites in the past should remain valid, however.

For those interested, here is a translation of the German cover text:

“Late in the summer of 1944, the skies over the Reich were mostly dominated by the Allied air forces. The heavy bombers of the USAAF at day, the ones of the RAF at night. In addition more and more the fast deHavilland DH.98 ‘Mosquito’ of the Light Night Striking Force which can – with little to no opposition – road the skies over the German Cities more or less unchallenged. Besides the ever present Flak, there is not much they have to fear.

‘Not much’, however, is relative. With their fast and agile Messerschmitt Bf109, some specialized units such as the 10./JG300 and later II./NJG11 are operating especially against the fast ‘Wooden Wonder’. And starting December 1944, first nocturnal missions using the Me262 are added to the threat. Starting out as ‘Kommando Welter’ and being taken into regular operations as 10./NJG11 later, a handful of skilled pilots are flying the single-seated Me262A and later the Me262B-1a/U1 twin-seater to counter the nightly Mosquito attacks.

This book shines a light at the almost untold story of the Nachtjagd with the Me262. 596 pages, 160 b/w photos, 69 reproduced documents, 24 maps and flight maps are adding to a story reproduced from material hidden in archives around the world, flight logs, written accounts and many hours of personal discussions with those involved. Enjoy the untold story of a unique unit and their nocturnal stalking of the famous ‘Mosquito’”

Andreas