View Single Post
Old 27th January 2014, 02:15

Richard T. Eger is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Der Hochfrekvenzkrieg:German translation of a USAF int. report?

Dear Larry,

Your quote is accurate, as the microfilms do include aircraft manuals, flight test report, and engineering studies of aircraft - all in the original German. The most English reports I found were in the 8000 series microfilms, but really not of the USAAF-USAF F-TS translation reports, or at least hardly any.

What I found at the NASM mall location were scattered samples of the F-TS reports, probably placed by subject matter, rather than as a singular whole collection. Now, I admit, I didn't ask if they had the reports also as a collection, so maybe Junker will get lucky.

As for a set being found at NARA II, I never ran across it. I think, at most, I ran across a few of them in about 3 archive boxes. Now, NARA II is a warren's nest and maybe they are buried there as a complete set - probably right next to the Ark of the Covenant. I do know that they have what looks to be a complete set of the Navy translation reports - the CGD reports - Captured German Document. There are about 1200 of these. I am sure that there were many times more than these issued by the USAAF-USAF.

I checked at the New York City public library because major libraries were used as depositories and certainly NYC would have been one of them. It was only after tickling someone's memory that he finally remembered that they existed.

The Library of Congress would be another place to look. The LoC has thousands of PB reports, many of them duplicates of what are on the microfilms at the NASM, but the last time I checked, it was the same thing - trying to find someone who remembered them. On a lark, I asked the current price to get a copy of the lengthy postwar report in English on Messerschmitt, which I already purchased from them sometime in the 60's. The new price was astronomical.

Good luck on getting help from the AFHRA these days. I researched there back in the 70's. Maybe 10 years ago I got some very nice help via e-mail and the phone, which I truly appreciated. But, the last time I sought similar help, it was essentially "go away boy, you bother me". I gave up. Maybe you can work things through their website.

Regards,
Richard