View Single Post
Old 22nd January 2021, 19:12

rof120 is on a distinguished road
Just a detail on Bigo commanding this aircraft

QUOTE:

"The odd thing is that I have a LV Ernest Bigo as the pilot in command of this aircraft on the 18th. He was also among the pilots who arrived at the same time as Chevanton to England. Bigo got his wings on 1 Aug 1940."

In theory it could be Bigot instead of Bigo - I don't know.

I know almost nothing on 1943 French naval aviation BUT 1940 within the French Air Force - the Naval Aviation possibly had the same rule - there was a frequently used title and function aboard a multi-aircrew aircraft: COMMANDANT D'AVION. This was not an extra crew member but the crew member who was responsible for the mission, directed its execution and gave orders, if necessary.

There was often (or always?) a "commandant d'avion" in reconnaissance aircraft for the important thing to do was not just to fly and possibly fight but to avoid combat if possible and to come back with information and photographs. This is why the "commandant d'avion" who led the mission was not the pilot but the observer or possibly a navigator, in most cases a full lieutenant (RAF: Flying Officer). He was in charge of navigation too.

With some reservations (I'm not an expert at bomber crews): In bombers the "commandant d'avion" was mostly the navigator, who knew best where the target was and how to get there. He was the NCA, navigateur-commandant d'avion. It could be the bombardier too.

In all instances the "commandant d'avion" could be the pilot: PCA for pilote-commandant d'avion.

The French naval aviation possibly applied the same rules from 1943 on.

Last edited by rof120; 24th January 2021 at 20:30.