View Single Post
Old 6th April 2017, 15:04
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough
Re: USN flying boat loss - early summer 1918 - North Sea

Hi Leendert

No answer I'm afraid, but checking my notes, the aircraft must have been either a US built Curtiss H-16 (a total of 158 was sent abroad) or a British aquired Curtiss/Felixstowe aquired flyingboat (nine taken on charge). I cannot think of any operational floatplane which could carry as many as five individuals.
The number of individuals rescued is also a slight problem since the H-16 had a crew of four and presumably did its British counterparts as well. Presumably there was no problem to increase the number to five individuals, but it is a bit odd.
We can also disregard all French flyingboats since all of those were smaller in size.

If I understand you correctly the incident must have happened in June (or possibly very early in July?) unless, the trawler's crew rushed into the newspaper the minute they arrived into harbour.

The most likley NAS should be Killingholme. The first US aircraft arrived on June 1, 1918 (22 H-16 onboard USS Jason) and if it was an American built aircraft I believe it has to be one of those.

However, since Killingholme at this stage still was a 'mixed' station, ie used by both RAF and US Navy, we cannot dismiss the thought that a US crew had 'borrowed' a RAF flyingboat when the incident happened, since there seems to be no US record of any incident like this.

As I said, no help but perhaps a way of narrowing down your search.

BTW I have no record of any RAF/Dutch incident on 4 July 1918. Can you please enlighten me?

Good luck
Cheers
Stig