View Single Post
Old 24th June 2019, 22:55

Martin Gleeson is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Luftwaffe air raid on Elesmes airfield, 15 May 1940.

Gentlemen, thank you all for your assistance.

Nick,
I would never have thought to look in Russian Archives ! It seems it could be a potential goldmine for 1940 from the German side. Although I will never use it (Eastern Front), I have been following the revelations of captured German documents on the TSAMO website with joy as a researcher.

Bertrand,
Is 'Compagnie de l'Air no. 90/107' an airfield servicing unit ? Please excuse my lack of knowledge on Armee de l'Air units.
The time you give fits perfectly.

ClinA-78,
That book source is a great find. Is 'La Salmagne' another name for Elesmes airfield ? I know the fortified position of 'Ouvrage La Salmagne' is approximately 1 1/2 km. north-west of Elesmes.
Indeed the reason for my question at the start of this thread is that I have come across some references to F/Lt. Mark Carter being killed in a bombing raid on 'Sallemange' (sic) airfield on May 15th, this information from his AIR 81/396 RAF casualty file. This came as a surprise as any previously published works featuring him state he was shot down and killed in the crash of Hurricane N2534 somewhere near Maubeuge. He and the dead French personnel (at least 15) were later taken to the hospital in Maubeuge.
Does the book record if he baled out or force-landed on the airfield ? He must have died almost immediately on reaching the airfield given the times quoted.

Luc,
I hope that will not be too time-consuming a task.

Sincere thanks once more.

Regards,

Martin.