View Single Post
Old 6th February 2011, 23:01
Alter Hase

Brian is on a distinguished road
Re: NEW BOOK - LUFTWAFFE & THE WAR AT SEA

Hi guys - John and Adam in particular

It would seem that John and I popped out of the same egg. I am not a professional historian, I have no qualifications as such, yet I have succeeded (my deliberate choice) in having had some 30 books published to date, with more to follow. All, without exception, have sold reasonably well within the refines of our subject matter, and have generally been well received with some very good reviews from the highest level.

I have always endeavoured to obtain 'personal' accounts of those involved (obviously almost impossible now) and would rather consider myself as a chronicler than an author since, as with most of us, I hadn't been born in the period in which I (we) write about.

I felt somewhat offended when, in another posting, people such as me (and John - and specifically another well-known author) were labelled by a 'professional' historian as nothing more than 'careless' enthusiasts (on the basis of 'errors' in our books), which implies to me that his own writings are 100% factual without any sort of error on the basis that he is a 'professional' historian with qualifications.

In my humble opinion most of the best work on military aviation history of the WWII period has come from the pen of the dedicated enthusiast.

In closing, should anyone wish to dissect any of my 'enthusiatic' writings, please do so. The free 'plugs' might be rewarding! Just Google or visit Amazon for most of the titles!

Cheers
Brian