View Single Post
Old 1st October 2006, 22:42

Jochen Prien is on a distinguished road
Re: Jagdfliegerverbände Vol. 9 / III

Dear George,

thank you for the flowers, but I still know about the limitations of our efforts. So much more could be done if we only had more time to pick up all the leads that still await to be discovered. It is an ongoing operation and a second edition would already see quite a lot of additions and also some more corrections. However, there may be hope - it looks as though a potent publisher is contemplating the possibility of an up-dated and augmented English version in the foreseeable future. Still, as of now nothing has been signed and sealed.

Talking about correctons - here is one I feel that must be made public right away as I feel it concerns a silly mistake I made in Vol 9 / III: The photo on top of page 318 - # 335 - does not show the tally on Anton Hackl's "black 5", but the victory tally of Oblt. Heinrich Setz, Kapitän of 4./JG 77, whose first two claims were made against British opponents, whereas Hackl claimed four victories in the West before coming to Russia as can be seen on photos 287 and 288 on page 272. Obviously on the occasion when these PK-photos were made, the Hungarian officers were shown around on the airfield with the aircraft of all the Gruppe's "Experten" being presented.

Work on Vol. 10 / I is progressing steadily; the publisher has voiced his opinion that it would be neccessary to limit the number of pages per volume to 500 at most which might lead to Vol 10 becoming a four-volume set. We'll see.

Regards

Jochen Prien