View Single Post
Old 11th October 2010, 17:49

nibbler is on a distinguished road
Re: Flight Lieutenant Eric Gordon Parkin

Hello Chris. Gordon was my CFI in 1981, a wonderful man and first-class CFI too. We became good friends. Sadly he passed away a couple of years ago. I know for sure that he hit the fence at Gravesend one night during the Battle of Britain, I cannot recall but I believe he said it was 28/29th July or the same dates in August. He told me that on final approach to the field he'd fallen asleep through exhaustion. This followed a late evening combat over Dover. He struck the fence and went over on his back. I believe his call sign was Pinetree 21 at the time but cannot be certain, nor can I remember which aeroplane he was flying at the time. It certainly put him out of action for some months and I understand that he spent the rest of the war instructing. He worked at the British Airways Flying Club for many years and was very firm friends with another of my instructors there, the delightful Joan Hughes, she of ATA fame. They made quite a team. Hope this provides you with a little more info.