View Single Post
Old 22nd January 2006, 09:40

Hauptmann is on a distinguished road
Re: Captured Boston A/c used for Recce flights over the UK ?

Hello,

I personally don't think that the LW ever used any A20 for recce flights over the UK... it would have been too easy to intercept...
I give much more credibility to the use of Thunderbolts, Spitfires (I've read somewhere about the use of captured Spits used to fly such kind of missions over England) and P38s... they would have been much harder to shoot down...
Regarding captured A20s... I've seen photos of at least three different russian A20s in gret conditions on LW airfields in Russia... I don't know if they were took again to the air...
On eBay I've also seen a coupple of A20s that belly landed on the the shores of Northern France... or Holland... their airframes looked great...
The LW recovered at least 3-4 RAF A20's in North Africa... a coupple at Marsa-Matruk... at least one was restored to airworthy conditions... I've also seen photos of a US A20 taken in Tunesia... and its airframe looked in very good conditions...
Every one of the above mentioned A20s could have been restored to airworthy conditions... the LW had big deposits of allied planes parts salvaged from shot down planes...
I guess that the A20 you are looking for could have many different origins...