View Single Post
Old 13th December 2023, 18:02
Alter Hase

RSwank is on a distinguished road
Re: looking for contacts of the families of the crew of a B-17

Hi Rolland,
I received your letter and you are correct, Ed Seward was my father. I am assuming you found me through his obituary as he sadly passed six years ago. I have two younger brothers, the middle one with the same name ( he’s a III) with a 30 year Air Force career. It shocks me when folks do a search for my Dad and find me first lol.
My Dad never spoke much about the event leading to the crash, bail out and subsequent POW until the last 6 months of his life. He could never understand why people wanted to hear about something which was by far the worst experience of his life.
As you may be aware, there was a reunion previously much like your French researchers are planning. The link for the “thread” indicated it was held in 2001 but the documents I have all indicate it was held June 25, 2000 at Cornbarrieu. My father was invited to attend but declined. Not a memory he wanted to revisit. I have a booklet that they sent to him detailing timelines from a historical perspective which I’m sure the French students have access to. Very interesting stuff. It’s actually remarkable that my Dad survived considering he was the navigator seated directly behind the bombarder, whom did not survive.
My nephew, a third year college student visited Toulouse in July and was able to find the house where my Dad and the other airmen were kept. The house is lovely, a museum of sorts with plaques on the wall honoring the soldiers.

If have any questions that I can help with, please let me know.
Regards

Cindy Andrieu

csandrieu at gmail dot com