View Single Post
Old 17th October 2006, 20:56
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road
Re: I./ZG 1 claims in 1939 - 1940 - any info?

Quote:
No, I wrote something about the book and the way the autor works. In fact its me who can not defend against personal attacks Mr. Cynk made in Polish paper Lotnictwo Wojskowe 5/2005.
TOCH is not the place, that Mr Cynk visits and I do not think it is the proper place to attack him personally. You could write a reply to the journal and apparently you did not.
Quote:
Nobody spoke about a "direct cooperation". It was the "problem" of Polish publishers only to bring the data together. Mr. Cynk disregarded German records completely (sorry, almost completely - he brought in his own interpretation (sic!!) of GQM records). Without German records the book is almost worthless. This is not only my opinion, but of many Polish historians of the "younger generation".
Who are those 'many Polish historians'? Could you name at least one of them? The book is definetelly highly regarded by Polish historians including such experts like dr Tomasz Kopański, who certainly is not from the old generation.
Quote:
Why? I showed one example above describing 5th Sept. and the mission flown by 112 eskadra. Next example: according to Cynk German records are confirming (?!) the loss of a He 111 of I./KG 152 shot down by 123 eskadra over Warsaw on the 5th. In fact this bomber was shot down 100 km`s away from Warsaw by Polish AA. Another example: 6 He 111`s of II./LG 1 shot down by Polish fighters in the morning of 1th Sept. Pretendendly confirmed by German documents (sic!?). But in fact such documents do not exist. The existing documents are confirming the loss of 1 He 111 + 1 He 111 belly landed (sic!). As well in GQM records, known to Mr. Cynk (sic!).
Nobody said there are no errors in Mr Cynk's books, including himself. Nonetheless the point is, the book is about Polish fighters and not Luftwaffe and the book has no more than a single sentence about each mentioned German loss.
Quote:
2 engined aircraft at a height of appr. 2000 m. Pniak saw 7 airplanes from the ground, before he started. After he started there appears nothing more about 2 engined aircraft. But 3 (!!) aircraft "of the same type" attacked him. IPMS, Lot.AII.15/1c-15 (also Cynk "Polskie lotnictwo mysliwskie..., page 242).
The report says exactly:
'Before take off I saw 7 German twin engined aircraft at an altitude of about 2,000 meters. I climbed in the direction of those seven. At an altitude of 1,500 meters I was attacked by another three aircraft of the same type.'
The report is perfectly clear.
Quote:
From the beginning of the war German Bf 109`s and Bf 110`s flew in sections of 2 (Rotte). This is not a secret. You can find this information in my book Jagdflieger (appendixes, experiences of German units).
I have checked. Those issues are raised only in the report of V(Z)/LG1 and the very same report mentions that in most cases they flew in formation of 7 aircraft. How could they fly in finger four formation, I really do not know. Another important note is that the report just only says, the pair is the minimum formation and the aircraft should not fly alone. Not a great find, known in Poland before the war as well. This has nothing to finger four and German fighters are reported to fly in sections of three well into the Battle of Britain.
Quote:
Only Pniak`s combat report, right?
Yes, and the diary of the unit filed at the very same time.
Quote:
It`s only your stubbornness. Even in original Polish documents you will find 3 P.11 only which participated in the earlier combat against Ju 87`s. Por. Pisarek had then to forceland his badly damaged aircraft and exactly this is described in the records of III./StG 2. In the latter combat 13 PZL took part and it is logical that I./LG 2 only then could have claimed 3 of them.
Neither Polish documents mention Me 109s. Logical conclusion is that the aggressive Ju 87s from the first combat actually were 109s.
Quote:
I don`t believe it. You often are referring to Polish documents which in fact do not exist. So I repeat my request: please show me the document confirming the fight of 111 eskadra in the midday of 5th Sept.
I am in the midst of other projects that I have to finish. I will not stop working on them only because of your wish. I am slowly gathering documents for some Polish Campaign subjects as well as extensive comment on your works but this needs time. Part of the documents is on the way from England but again, time is needed, even to type on this forum. I have very little of it recently. Haben Sie verstanden?!
Otherwise I see very little purpose in providing documents, as you can write such sentences whenever you wish with regard of any part of any document. For you, Polish reports are worthless in general.
Quote:
As I wrote earlier Polish combat reports are useless regarding particular German aircraft types. German records are not confirming what you would like to have.
The general conclusion is that the German records are incomplete and that those data should be taken with a grain of salt. Evgeniy seems to understand that and I see no reason in continuing the discussion.