View Single Post
Old 27th October 2013, 23:44
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough
Re: Cherkassy-Korsun Air Supply Operations

Oops! Andy, I was pressed for time when I did the first post on this thread and did not scroll down far enough in my own material! Who would have thought there was a Knapp the Elder and a Knapp the Younger, both im Generalstab guys? I'm getting old. Anyway, you are right. It almost with 100% certainty would have been Knapp the Younger:

KNAPP, Wilhelm. (DOB: 25.08.12 in Lübeck). (i.G.). (R, DKG).

The "fit" for him is even better: Abt. Ia in Stab/IV. Fliegerkorps. He's the guy.

The BNA reference I gave you, provided it's the right volume from that series, should cover the particulars of the C-K Air Supply Op in more detail that available elsewhere. It was authored postwar by Bletchley Park using all of the intercepts from the Luftflotte 4 area and I know for a fact that there were a lot of intercepts from Transportfliegerfuehrer 2 and the units subordinated to it for the operation. Aided by "Y" material, the work should provide a pretty good view of what was going on. Incidentally, there was some container dropping by bomber units, IIRC.

L.