View Single Post
Old 30th October 2019, 17:07

rof120 is on a distinguished road
27 April not 13 May

I hope I'm not making myself ridiculous but please have a better look at the Flugbuch. The mention "zwishen Bäumen!" (between some trees!) is written on the line for 27 April NOT 13 May. And yes this was written by some different man not the usual one. The mention "zwischen Bäumen" was written directly over the other mention from 13 May simply because it was the last flight which was registered before 13 May. Please note, too, that this flight on 27 APRIL lasted for only 25 minutes. Other flights were much longer, sometimes several hours. So something happened on 27 April. I don't know if precisely 2N + HN flew for only 25 minutes before performing a belly-landing on 27 APRIL (with both engines stopped, as the intact propeller blades show - I mean they were not bent) but the "Flugbuch-one" obviously did not land on an airfield but between some trees..

Something else: PHOTOGRAPHS OF THIS SCENE. Clearly many photographs of this AC were shot because numerous German soldiers were there - with many trucks, bicycles, possibly on foot too. It is obvious, too, that about 1/2 dozen pictures or more were shot by one and the same PK-Photographer (technically excellent pictures and they all look similar). I have got another of these many shots here right on my desk after I heroically screened several hundred photographs of all kinds (babies, cats, family, vacation etc.) looking precisely for that one. Not surprisingly it's from ECPA at Ivry next to Paris, today ECPA-D. Here is the picture number: DAA 313 L 07. As you know many photographs of German origin are there.

John, you could try to ask the people at ECPAD whether the document (note) accompanying the film roll gives any details. Possibly you would find everything there: exact place, date (for the photograph, possibly not for the incident) and name of photographer. Good luck!

PS: the entry for the mission on 27 April has N° 48, the next entry is N° 49 on 13 May. On 27 April the mission was "Überführung Gütersloh" (ferry flight to Gütersloh - a city near the landing airfield). Take-off time was 9.30 (German time), landing at Buer at 9.55. I feel Buer is a typical GERMAN NAME. I don't know if there was an airfield there but I don't think so. If this Buer is in Germany you won't find it in Belgium, France or the NL. No enemy action is mentioned - and on 27 April the war was on but not the big German offensive yet (10 May).

Several combat missions are mentioned on the same (right) page, one with heavy AAA-fire, another with a Spitfire shot down on 27 May "over the Channel"). "Grosseinsatz" on 3 June - this was the massive German attack in the Paris area. "abgebrochen" (interrupted) by this crew "because of trouble with right engine".

Last edited by rof120; 30th October 2019 at 17:39.