View Single Post
Old 5th March 2012, 01:29

aaatripp is on a distinguished road
Wink Re: Capt.Wallace Emmer 354th Fighter Group

Thanks, Peglar, for posting this photo....indeed a somber moment in the lives of the "kriegies" (kriegsgefangenen---POWs).

It's close but I don't think that this is the burial procession for Bud, here's why I think this:

1. There are 10 rifle men in the detail.
2. There is a priest in traditional garb ahead of the casket.
3. The casket appears (under the flowers) to be rather fancy.

Here are the items which I used in the comparison:

1. In the photo marked as Bud's burial detail which is located in response #31 of this thread, please note that there are
only 6 rifle men rendering the military honors. However, the German soldier at attention at the left end of the line appears
to be the same soldier at the head of the burial column in your photo, Peglar. This would confirm a Wetzlar burial detail.

2. Please note response #16 in this thread, the copy of the letter from Col. Charles W. Stark, USAAF to Bud's parents
which describe the detail----the officiant who conducted the burial was Capt. Daniel McGowan, English camp chaplain,
who most likely would have been in military uniform.

3. The plain wooden casket is clearly visible to the far left in the #31 photo, not a fancy casket. Thanks again from the
Emmer family to Flugplatz Giessen for posting this photo from the Raymond Toliver book "The Interrogator", the story of
Hans Scharff, the interrogator at Dulag Luft Oberusel, near Wetzlar.

Any comments/responses are most welcome to help sort out these questions.
Many sincere thanks!

Tripp

Last edited by aaatripp; 5th March 2012 at 01:43. Reason: realign, add details.