View Single Post
Old 8th October 2023, 19:48
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough
Re: US Strategic Bombing Survey No59 - a questionable statement about 1-seat fighters production

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtieBob View Post
"Has anyone researched this problem?" I do not remember seeing any research that addresses this specific question. "There should probably be a more plausible explanation than just a lie." I have worked with the USSBS for over 60 years, It has been and still remains one of the best documentary sources related to the Luftwaffe available in the USA. It was never a propaganda activity, but a serious attempt to determine the effectiveness of a form of warfare for which there was really no historical precedence for internal US military use. Thus, immediately assuming that an report is a lie, for me is a bit off the scale.
I believe the first line of the document really answers what this particular document represents,"This report was written primarily for the use of the US Strategic Bombing Survey in the preparation of further reports of a more comprehensive nature. Any conclusions or opinions expressed in this report must be considered as limited to the specific material covered and as subject to further interpretation in the light of further studies conducted by the Survey." So you are looking at a preliminary report which specifically defines the limits of its' validity.
Before closing, the USSBS data, working files and draft reports still exist at USNA College Park. The original documents, unlike most USA collections appear to be essentially intact, none having been returned to Germany. Thus, this represent a source that contains some data that may not be available At BA. Just as a teaser, perhaps copies of the C-Amt Monatsmeldung from 1941 t0 1944 missing only one month?
Your original question, ""Has anyone researched this problem?", is good and valid. It would probably be a good start for someone's PhD. thesis. As I approach 90, I have other projects to work on.

ArtieBob
A tip of the hat to ya', Art. At 85½, I thought I was just about the oldest still participating here, even if a lot less frequently than before. Tally-ho.

Larry deZ.