View Single Post
Old 14th March 2014, 13:48

Marius is on a distinguished road
Re: Posting to the Allied Discussion form on British forces present at the Battle of The Heligoland Bay: 18 December 1939

Hi Larry,
the JFV series is a well done and interesting work and Winfried Bock makes a superb job with the victory lists. But you must see the presented data for the year 1939 - what is my special interest as you know - have their weak points and some times of the victories, loss places and so on are pretty inaccurate. It does not matter when you have 1, 2 or 3 victories only, which differ from documented data 10, 20 or even more minutes. But in the case of 18.12.1939 this is a very special and misleading problem.

I would like to have a victory list where the reader is able to see what is documented and what is an interpretation of the authors (and I `d wish this for the whole JFV series). An example:
5./JG 77 Oblt. Pointner Wellington ... 14.20 hours (documented and confirmed)
5./JG 77 Oblt. Jung ... [14.35] hours or 14.35 or whatever (an interpretation or even just a speculation)

As a historical researcher you have no other possibility than to go to the archives and start reading the whole documents again.

Regards,