View Single Post
Old 23rd February 2019, 12:03

wwrsimon is on a distinguished road
Re: 10 Sqn Whitley claim, Weimar, Aug 16/17 1940

Thank you both for the replies.

I think the description in the Whitley Boys as 'probable' is perhaps more accurate than the ORB's entry?

620467 Arthur Cowie was awarded the D.F.M. which was gazetted on May 9th 1941:

This N.C.O. has carried out his duties as tail gunner and Wireless Operator in an outstanding manner. He has completed 31 operational missions involving a total of 250 hours. Targets attacked include Hal, the Ruhr, Aachen, Wedau, Neuf Chateau, Wismar, Gelsenkirchen, Turin, Zena, Freiburg, Milan, Dortmund, Leverkusen, Berlin (2), Hamburg (2), Trier (2), Lorient (2), Amsterdam, Wilhelmshaven, Gelsenkirchen-Buer and Dusseldorf-Darrendorf. Owing to Sergeant Cowie’s valuable work as Wireless Operator, all the foregoing long distance fights were brought to a successful conclusion. On 16th August, 1940, he was the tail gunner when his aircraft was attacked by an Me.110 which was shot down. He has displayed the highest standard of efficiency and reliability and his bearing and behaviour on operations has been exemplary. I have no hesitation in recommending that his excellent operational record be recognised by the award of the Distinguished Flying Medal.
5th March 1941.

Regards

Simon