View Single Post
Old 2nd October 2014, 11:32

azapf1972 is on a distinguished road
Late-war Me262 Encounter over Northern Germany

I did post this also on "http://www.luftwaffe-research-group.org" so please forgive me if you find the post twice:

I am currently looking into a possible encounter of Me262's of 10./NJG11 in the Reinfeld/Lübeck area based on a vague description given by Lt. Jörg Czypionka in an interview and a book.

Depending on where you read it, it is slightly different - but quoting the book, this is the story told:

"At the end of April, Czypionka and a sergeant-pilot of the unit were heading for their autobahn base, returning at dawn from a late night mission. [...] they spotted a formation of Tempests flying six abreast. [...] Czypionka took out one Tempest, which exploded in mid-air. The sergeant's guns jammed. [...]
Unfortunately, the sergeant said to go to Lübeck, and the British overheard his radio transmission. Chased by the surviving Tempests, Czypionka and his comrade arrived at Lübeck airfield to find a welcoming committee of Spitfires. [...]"

So much for the story itself - it does not give a date (other than "end of April") but given that 10./NJG11 was not in or around Lübeck prior to April 10, 1945 and (presumably) not on the highway strip near Reinfeld after May 1, 1945 (which is when the British troops reached Reinfeld and then Lübeck the day after), we are looking at a very narrow timeline of about 20 days.

I checked the Tempest losses - this is what I found:
  • No. 3 Sqn. lost two Tempest on April 30 but on an evening patrol "over the bridgehead".
  • No. 3 Sqn. lost a tempest on April 21 but again on a later-day patrol (t/o 16:55)
  • No. 3 Sqn. was not flying missions prior to April 19, 1945 as they had been sent to RAF Warmwell for training.
  • No. 33 Sqn. lost two Tempest on April 12 but no dawn patrols (t/o 11:45)
  • No. 33 Sqn. lost one Tempest April 23 (t/o 08:15) which is late for a "dawn patrol" but at least a morning loss plus it was an "Armed recce to Husum and Kiel"
  • No. 33 Sqn. lost three Tempest on April 24 but again late morning (t/o 11:15).
  • No. 33 Sqn. lost one Tempest on April 25 but later afternoon.
  • No. 274 Sqn. lost one Tempest April 23 but late morning and it was a "single flight"
  • No. 486 Sqn. lost one Tempest April 14 but on an evening patrol.
  • No. 486 Sqn. lost one Tempest April 20 but on a later patrol.
  • No. 486 Sqn. lost one Tempest April 26 but again on a later morning patrol
  • No. 486 Sqn. lost one Tempest April 27 in the morning but due to flak.
Questions:

1. Does anyone know of any more Tempest losses or damaged a/c that might fit the described event?
  2. Does anyone have records on the Spitfire Squadrons and a recorded event of an attack on Lübeck-Blankensee airfield?
  3. There are reports on a fighter-bomber attack on the airfield of Lübeck-Blankensee on or around April 13, 1945. Does anyone have evidence of this incident and can point me to the involved (RAF assumed) Squadrons?

Any help would be appreciated.

Andreas