View Single Post
Old 4th January 2013, 13:29

Pete63 is on a distinguished road
Re: Wreck Ju 88/188 found in Baltic Sea

Jarek,

I've visited the website you referred to and I must say these pictures are of better quality, but it's still difficult to see... Forget what I said about a four bladed prop, because I don't see that in the better pictures... (My mistake)

I have made a comparison of a Junkers Ju88A-4 scale drawing and put it as an overlay over the image of the wreck. The wingspan of the wreckage is about 20 metres, so an A-4 type wing will be a closer comparison than the Ju88 that was originally in the picture. (That was a Ju88A-1 aircraft which had shorter wings, by the way.)

Let's suppose - this is purely hypothetical:
If your wreck is a Junkers Ju88 - you are looking at the wings without the flaps and ailerons - those are missing... My scale drawing is from above, but the wreckage seems a bit tilted 'nose down', or should we say 'engines down' - because there the main weight will be... So that makes it harder to compare the pictures...

So if it's a Ju88, a lot of versions (starting from the A-4 wing type) will be possible... A Ju188 had a wingspan that was even (about) 2 metres larger, so the chance that it was such a type is not likely...

Just my 50 cents, for what it's worth...

Good luck with further investigations..!

Piet Bouma
The Netherlands