View Single Post
Old 23rd March 2019, 08:36

bearoutwest is on a distinguished road
Re: German pilots in Korea War?

Edward,
Your original question asked about ex-Luftwaffe pilots. I've tried to answer that question. It is my opinion that the likely times available for immigration (not before 1948-52, except for a few "valued assets" - test pilots, rocket scientists, etc), together with usual training times make it very unlikely any ex-Luftwaffe pilots would be flying USAF aircraft in the Korean War.

As for ground troops, I found you one case of a Hungarian youth - not an ex-service personnel, and highlighted the difficulties he had in reaching the USA. So obviously, it's not impossible. However, I would suggest that an foreign "hostile" that fought in combat against the USA would have had an even more difficult time.

Still, nothing is impossible. It would help if you actually listed some names of these "few books that had testamonies of German Wehrmacht veterans of WWII" or of the German veterans. That way, others here may be able to add more information to that which you seek.

For myself, though I find this topic interesting, there's probably not much more I can add.

Regards,
...geoff

Last edited by bearoutwest; 23rd March 2019 at 08:37. Reason: typo