View Single Post
Old 14th September 2008, 15:47

robyplace is on a distinguished road
Re: B17 Vet tells of Jet Kill. How to verify?

Ok Ruy, I see I have some more fact finding to do. I'm sure he knows his Bomb Group and Squadren #. As for the date, I would be surprised. (Maybe the month or Season?) That was a long time ago. I do recall him saying his Silver Star was issued for destrorying a Sub Pen on the coast of France by Skipping a Bomb off the water from a very low level through the Pens Doors. As they were hardend targets that they could never seem to knock out from altitude. Perhaps these were the "Milk Runs" Bomber Crews Speak of. That, that was a breech of some sort (Flight Plan?) But since it was successful, he is issued a Medal instead of Court Martial. That places him there before D-Day I would think. And, he was still flying at Wars End. I'll take notes the next time I see him. I was just curious abt his framed Plane and Crew picture with Wings and Medal Group hanging on his basement stair wall, and asked abt them. He certainly never mentions them other wise. These type of stories will soon all be lost. The picture may have his Plane # but he was asigned to 2 Planes as his originol crew was shot down while he was pulled for B-29 training. (Still brings a tear to his eye) Thanks